Well, it is that time of year again. I am the biggest ba humbug on the planet. As mentioned in a previous post I can’t stand holidays. But on the contrary I love giving gifts. I like to think of myself as a gift whisperer. Some people don’t possess the gift of great gift giving. And when it comes to gifts for men or men buying gifts there is always a challenge. Maybe you are a man getting your dad, brother, uncle, boss, best friend, or lover a gift. Or perhaps you need to advise someone on what gift to get for a man close to you. Either way the holidays are a good time to get guys…
First let me go over which items should never be given as a gift for a man.
- Sunglasses- men must make sure they look right themselves. See former blog post titled “Shades”
- Anything too personal- which means clothes from the waist down. Unless the guy is so clueless then in that case: dare to do it but be conservative, don’t go get a chilled out guy an expensive pair of jeans with a lightning bolt on the crotch.
- Cologne- This is a personal choice every man has to make for himself, I don’t care if you get him the hottest new scent and he tells you he loves it, I promise it will either collect dust or be re-gifted.
- Cheap Crap- Nothing is worse than a cheap gift, you are better off saying you couldn’t swing a gift for everyone this year than insulting someone with a gift you had to put on K-Mart lay away.
- A fancy overcoat, he should have one already and that’s a different post. If he doesn’t own one then he has big problems and isn’t a grown up.
- Anything red or green/holiday colors. People will know your Aunt Hildegard got this festive gift for you and put it under a tree not to mention these colors limit the times of year they can be worn.
One thing men get year after year is either gloves or a wallet. These are nice gifts but tread carefully before giving them. Find out if these are items a guy really needs. Maybe go with a cashmere scarf instead. Men always look like a million dollars in them but usually will not buy one for them self. It is definitely a gift that keeps on giving.
A few more fashion friendly suggestions:
- Appropriate workout clothes or cold weather gear for running. This way the gift receiver doesn’t look like Rocky chasing a chicken when he is out jogging in his high school sweats. Also, it will motivate to exercise if he doesn’t already.
- A Puma gym bag, because stuffing your sneaks and/or racquet in your briefcase until after work is not cute.
- An appropriate brief case is an excellent gift as well because a man going to work in his suit and back pack from his study abroad program is also not cute…ever.
- Ties, belts, and cufflinks are the type of gifts that men (who wear suits) can’t get enough off. Just stick to simple, sleek and sexy design as to not impose your taste on anyone.
Check out a few more fun ideas by clicking on the below links
Elliot Dopp Kit _ Men always need these bags
Cashmere Burberry Scarf– a little pricey but worth every penny
Pocket Squares– You can purchase less expensive ones at a department store but I love Mr. Porter
Turkish Bathrobe – ahhh Heaven!
A masculine apron by Hedley & Bennett (every man I know cooks these days and all the best chefs are men. )
Just keep in mind when shopping for a gift for a man, get them something they want not something they need. Don’t condone their bad habits by for example getting them a video game, and electronics are always a cold cop-out of a gift. And if you can get something that they will like but would never get for themself, you truly will get bonus points.
Happy Shopping & Ba Humbug!